Encouraging leadership from WITHIN the community, the CornerStone Initiative supports the Westside neighborhood by facilitating gatherings and activities that take place within walking distance for the neighbors. Acting upon the suggestions of the residents from the community, CornerStone seeks to be the link between residents and community resources. Collaboration is the key! The goal is to encourage and empower residents as they work together to reach the goals THEY set for making positive and sustainable improvements for Westside.
Past community meetings have focused on topics such as:
- Organization of a Neighborhood Association
- Energy Efficiency in older homes
- Community Watch and neighborhood safety
- Educational services in the community
- Future plans for affordable housing site within the community
- Green-Team clean up and Fire Safety
- Informational meeting about the food dessert and potential grocery options
- Wi-Fi for students in the community
- Huntsville City Schools plans and changes
- Stone Middle School re-development
Guests have included city council persons, city leaders, developers, educators, city planners, and multiple collaborating partners from across Madison County.